Shi Jia Zhuang, China, Shigella Outbreak 2016
Mar 15, 2022
- 300 students affected by food poisoning
- Used Lab-on-Chip Technology for quick detection
- Students issued appropriate treatment
- Source of contamination detected with the same technology
Source: China Online Telenews; 河北网络电视台(24 October 2016)
- On the morning of 18 October 2016, a wide range of suspected food poisoning incident occurred in Shijiazhuang Zhengding Hongwen Primary School. More than 300 students developed symptoms of fever, vomiting and diarrhea.
- On the same day, CDC microbiological testing lab received the patient samples, and immediately used Salmonella real time PCR kit and Lab-on-Chip detection system to test the samples. It detected Salmonella positive bacteria, while Lab-on-Chip detection system identified Shigella positive bacteria. Subsequently, the CDC staff conducted a confirmation test that confirmed the identification of Shigella bacteria.
- Within 2 hours, the Lab-on-Chip platform detected the cause of the food poisoning pathogens. This is in contrast to traditional detection methods which requires 2-3 days or more to identify the type of pathogens.
- The miniaturised, portable design of the Lab-on-Chip is more suitable for outbreak in public health emergency scene and provides accurate test results to the health regulatory departments at the first instance. This enables the relevant government authorities to take timely and effective measures to prevent the spread of the epidemic.